Electrical Safety for Your Children
If you have kids, electrical safety for your children is a high priority. Ensuring your home is safety proof is key to keeping peace of mind. Electricity can be both dangerous and unpredictable for every member of your home, but small children are especially at risk. Toddler and pre-school aged kids can be very curious and are still grappling with the meaning of “no.” Virginia homeowners should always practice home safety with their children, and electrical safety should be the priority. The professionals at Hickerson Brothers know how important it is to take precautions and instill the importance of electrical dangers.
Remember to always contact an electrical professional if you are unsure about the safety of your electrical system. Companies such as Hickerson Brothers are specifically trained to handle electrical problems, and can restore your electrical system to safe operations.
Here are a few steps to keep your kids safe from the electrical dangers inherent in a home:
Keep Cords Out of Reach
- Kids love to play with anything they can reach, including wires and appliances.
- Know where all your appliances are, and make sure that the cords are hidden – and smaller appliances are not within reach.
- Good places to store your small appliances are tops of shelves and pantries that can be locked.
- You can “hide” other exposed cables from your children by encasing them in cable organizers, which can be found at the local hardware store.
Put Covers Over Sockets
- Since electrical outlets are in every room of a home, it is important to protect your children from potential electrical shock.
- Child-proof safety covers help keep little hands from exploring dangerous areas. Available in toy stores, home improvement stores and several online outlets, you’ll find a wide array of designs for various outlet configurations.
- Covers for outlets prevent your children from putting objects inside the socket – as well as offering protection from water or liquid spills.
Practice Safe Electrical Handling
- Teach your older kids proper electrical handling, and you’ll be able to leave the house without feeling stressed.
- Remind your kids to never yank plugs from the wall or unplug by pulling from the wire.
- Keep water and liquids away from any appliances or electrical equipment that is plugged into an outlet.
- When done with an appliance, remember to wrap up the cord and store it away.
- Never leave an appliance running without proper supervision. Make sure they always ask a parent or guardian before using an electronic device.
- If a cord looks damaged, do not use the appliance.
Hire an Electrical Contractor
- Practicing electrical safety is important, but knowing your electrical system is safe is just as essential.
- Performing regular maintenance will ensure that your electrical system runs at maximum efficiency, as well as provide a safer space for your children.
- Companies such as Hickerson Brothers provide affordable electrical services, and can instruct you on additional practices for electrical safety.
Keep your mind at ease with our electrical safety tips for your children. Hickerson Brothers strives to provide excellent electrical services for Virginia homeowners with affordable quality only found in Catlett. Give us a call at 703-594-3913 to schedule an appointment and meet your trusted electricians.
Hickerson Electrical is your source for all home electrical services. We’re ready and willing to deliver top-quality service to your home at a moment’s notice. So call today at (703) 594-3913.