mobile navigation
close buttonClose Menu
close buttonClose Menu



Electrical Dangers You Need to Be Aware of

by Hickerson Brothers on November 11, 2016

electrical dangers

Don’t Risk These Electrical Dangers

Your home could be a danger zone, and you not know it. Fifty-three percent of home fires involve electrical wiring, which remains hidden behind your walls. Don’t let the phrase “Out of sight out of mind” be a reality for you, though. Just because you don’t see the inner workings of your home wiring, it doesn’t mean problems don’t exist or can’t occur. Many electrical dangers stem from loose, frayed, or poorly installed wiring as well as from a lack of proper understanding.

Should you experience an electrical fire, do not attempt to throw water on the source! We know it may seem like the natural response, but it’s possible that you could get shocked and/or make the fire worse. In this case, the best option is to use an extinguisher that’s designed to to combat electrical fires in the initial stages. It’s incredibly important to note, however, that if it’s taking longer than five seconds to extinguish a fire, the best course of action is to call 9-1-1.

If any of these electrical dangers apply to you, call a licensed electrician as soon as possible so that the necessary repairs can be made. Never attempt to perform a repair on your own.

Frayed Electrical Cables

We all sometimes do desperate things to save money where we can. But if you’re using an electrical cord that is frayed or appears to be barely holding on, you’re risking your safety – and your home. The best thing to do here is replace the cable as soon as possible. This isn’t something you want to put off until next week. Each year, an estimated 51,000 electrical fires occur in homes across the U.S, resulting in nearly 500 deaths and over 1,400 injuries. Don’t become a statistic.

If frayed cables are a common issue for you, there are some things you can do to help keep them intact and avoid electrical dangers.

  • Never insert or remove a cable by its cord; always hold onto the connection.
  • Upon charging a device, gently unplug the cable to prevent overheating.
  • Carefully roll and store cables; wading and tossing will only damage your cables.
  • Keep them out of reach of curious pets. Not only could this harm your cables, but this could have a serious impact on the health of your pet.

Heated Face Plates

Some appliances, such as your toaster or space heater, are designed to produce heat, however, the outlet in which the appliance derives its power from should never become hot.  If any of your face plates are warm to the touch, it’s possible that the wiring was installed incorrectly or there’s an overload.

In the meantime, we recommend not using the outlet altogether. Have a licensed electrician diagnosis the issue and perform the necessary repairs. If you notice your dimmer switch is warm, don’t panic just yet. If it’s too hot to touch, then there is a problem, but if it’s just warm, you probably don’t have anything to worry about.

Incorrect Bulb Wattage

When it comes to light fixtures, it’s important to purchase a bulb with the correct wattage. Using a bulb that has a higher wattage than recommended is a fire hazard and can overheat the fixture. If you have a fixture that requires multiple bulbs, check each individual one and ensure it’s the correct wattage.

Tripping GFCI Outlets

Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) outlets are typically located in kitchens and bathrooms – usually within six feet of a water source. GFCI outlets were implemented to help prevent electrocution as they are designed to immediately stop the flow of electricity when there’s a change in the current.

If you have a GFCI outlet that trips repeatedly, you could very well have an electrical problem on your hands, or a worn-out receptacle. Have a licensed electrician address the issue in a timely manner to prevent any further problems.

Hickerson Electrical is your source for all home electrical services. We’re ready and willing to deliver top-quality service to your home at a moment’s notice. So call today at (703) 594-3913.

And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for updates, guides, and helpful information each week!